CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) - It has been a messy 24 hours throughout western Massachusetts as well as throughout the entire Northeast. Here's what the last day has looked like. as two winter storms collided and snow started falling.
Friday, February 8
- 7:00 A.M.: 22News Storm Team forecasted flakes would begin
- 9:00 A.M.: 3,400 flights cancelled at Northeast airports like Bradley, Logan, LaGuardia, Kennedy, and Newark-Liberty
- 12:00 P.M.: All train service in the region stopped
- 12:40 P.M.: State of Emergency in effect for Massachusetts
- 4:00 P.M.: Statewide travel ban put into place
- 9:00 P.M.: Snow over 7" in much of western Massachusetts
Saturday, February 9
- 12:00 A.M.: Heaviest snow and highest winds across region
- 4:00 A.M.: Snowfall over 1' in almost all of western Massachusetts
- 9:00 A.M: Snow creates ghost-town feel
- 11:30 A.M.: Snow begins to taper off; high winds expected
Throughout the Northeast, about 500,000 homes and business are without electricity because of the heavy snow and howling winds. Fortunately for us here in western Massachusetts, there have been no significant power outages.