CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - For the 2013 Best Baking Contest at the Big E, contestants were asked to create and compete with a treat that will wow the fair's judges! Michele Roy Curtis of Westford was a top finalist in the best baking contest and joined us in the Mass Appeal kitchen to share her recipe for an almond breakfast braid!
Almond Breakfast Braid
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour, divided
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 envelope Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Yeast
1 cup milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup almond paste
1 egg white
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
2 - 3 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and Fleischmann's yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Heat the milk and butter in a saucepan until the butter is melted and the milk is warm.
- Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture and add the egg. Beat for 3 minutes on medium speed with mixer.
- Add enough flour to form a soft dough; knead for 6 minutes.
- Set aside and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the filling ingredients. Set aside.
- Divide the dough into three pieces. Roll each section into a 4 x 18-inch rectangle.
- Divide the filling evenly between the three pieces of dough.
- Roll each piece lengthwise and pinch to seal the seam.
- Braid the three sections together and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, approximately 1 hour. Brush with egg wash.
- Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Combine glaze ingredients together and drizzle over warm braid.
- Garnish with sliced almonds. Serve and enjoy!