CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - For the 2013 Family Favorites Recipe Contest at the Big E, contestants were asked to create and compete with any delicious dish that will wow their family, friends and the fair's judges. Anne Crouss of Feeding Hills took 1st place with her recipe for a Tomato Tart using Bisquick!
For the Crust:
1 1/2 cups Original Bisquick mix
1/4 + 1/8 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon fennel seeds, crushed
4 to 5 tablespoons boiling water
1 egg white, lightly beaten
For the Filling:
15 black and/or green bar style olives, chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups shredded Italian Fontina cheese
3 large tomatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick, well drained on paper towels
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prepare the crust by mixing Bisquick mix, butter and crushed fennel seeds in a small bowl.
- Add water and stir vigorously until a soft dough forms.
- Press into a 12-inch tart pan and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until light brown.
- Reduce heat to 400 degrees F.
- Brush bottom of tart with a lightly beaten egg white and bake until golden, approximately 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Prepare tomato filling by mixing olives, onions, thyme and olive oil together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle cheese over bottom of cooled crust.
- Arrange the tomato slices in slightly overlapping circles over the cheese.
- Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Sprinkle olive and onion mixture on top of the tomatoes.
- Bake in the 400 degree F oven for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, when the cheese is melted and the tomatoes are golden and bubbly.
Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve warm or at room temperature.