SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - A friendly competition between the Springfield Police and Fire Departments has benefitted the American Red Cross Blood Program.
Most of the 17 Springfield city employees who gave blood last December, cast a vote for the fire department in the symbolic battle of the badges.
Thursday afternoon Mayor Domenic Sarno presented Fire Commissioner Bernard Calvi the Battle of the Badges trophy.
It's a way of recognizing the gift of life from the city employees.
"We're very lucky we have very dedicated employees. Every time that they can and we always have employees who give blood for the first time," said Caitlyn Julius the acting Assistant Human Service Director.
The Springfield Police Department will get another chance at winning the battle of the badges trophy, when city employees have their next blood donor drive on July 26th.
- West Springfield police, fire department wives compete in celebrity bartending competition
- Springfield, Holyoke basketball players go head to head at all-star game
- Manhole explosion left some Indian Orchard residents without power
- Child porn suspect wanted by State, Northampton, Federal authorities captured in NJ
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Worst date ever?
- Man dies from bacterial infection after eating bad oyster
- 'Brady Bunch' house for sale for nearly $1.9M
- If DNA shows health risks, most want to know