Mass Appeal welcomed Alka and Amit Kanoujia, from India House, to teach us how to make an Indian pomegranate potato dish.
Anari Aloo-Saag bhaji
(Gluten free and Vegetarian)
- Chef Potatoes, 2 cups parboiled and sliced
- Mixed greens of your choice, 1 cup finely chopped
- (Swiss chard, kale & beet greens)
- Ghee (clarified butter), 2 Tbsp.
- Fresh garlic cloves, 6
- Black onion seeds, 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds, 1 Tsp
- Salt, 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder, 1 tsp
- Curry powder, 1 tsp or to taste
- Coriander powder, 1 Tsp
- Fennel seeds, 1 tsp
- Scallions, ½ cup
- Paprika, ¼ tsp
- Fresh ginger & turmeric straws to garnish
- Fresh pomegranate pearls, ½ cup
Wash the whole potatoes thoroughly and parboil. Peel and slice. This can be done ahead and refrigerated.
1. Heat oil in a thick skillet or wok on high heat.
2. Add garlic cloves, Spread sliced potatoes evenly and, sprinkle salt, cumin & onion seeds. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until the bottom sides of the potatoes are browned.
3. Turn down the heat to medium setting and add curry powder, coriander powder & ground fennel seeds with sprinklings of paprika.
4. Mix everything properly to ensure that all seasonings are napped together. Add mix greens. Mix well, cook until lightly wilted.
5. At the very end mix in scallions. Top it with ghee, fresh ginger & turmeric straws with fresh pomegranate pearls.