CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) When you look at a home, looking at a few important elements can help you make sure you don’t buy a lemon. Eric Lipkin is the Owner of Pillar To Post- Home Inspection and he helped us know what to look for.Top 10 Things to Look for When Looking for a Home
1. Roof- Ask the age. How many layers. Look at condition.
2. Foundation- Look for large cracks ( ¼”+)
3. Water Entry into Home? Ask seller, look for signs in basement, grading, gutters -etc.
4. Electrical System- Is it a minimum of 100 amps? Is it fused?
5. Is Knob and Tube Wiring Present? Can be insurance problem.
6. Heating System- How old is it? Condition?
7. Asbestos Present? Can be on heating ducts or pipes.
8. Plumbing Leaks? Can lead to bigger issues.
9. Mold Present? Locate source of excess moisture.
10. Hire a Home Inspector. There is only so much you can do so hire a trained professional.