CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – Some like them savory, others like them sweet, so we catered to both sides of the spectrum and talked all things sweet potatoes! Cathie Cappa, Owner of Auntie Cathie’s Kitchen showed us how to utilize sweet potatoes in several different dishes.Spicy Sweet Potato SlawIngredients
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and finely julienned
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and finely julienned
- 2 cups thinly shredded Savoy cabbage
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 to 3 teaspoons minced jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- In a large bowl combine lime juice, sesame oil, canola oil, ginger and salt until combined.
- Add sweet potato, apple, cabbage, scallion, jalapeño and cilantro to dressing; toss.
- Transfer to a large shallow serving bowl. Sprinkle with peanuts.
Sweet Morning PotatoIngredients
- 1 sweet potato or yam, scrubbed and dried
- 1/4 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds, etc.)
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Pierce the sweet potato several times with the tines of a fork.
- Place the sweet potato inside a loose nest of foil.
- Bake until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool enough to handle.
Sweet Potato Panzanella SaladIngredients
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups cubed whole wheat French bread
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place sweet potatoes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Bake 30 minutes, turning once until golden and tender. Let cool.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the bread cubes. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a small bowl whisk remaining 1/4 cup oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, pepper and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, pepper, onion and basil. Stir in vinaigrette. Let stand 2 minutes. Gently stir in the sweet potatoes, avocado, and bread.