Tinky Weisblat, the Diva of Deliciousness, taught us how to bake a fresh batch of apple scones.
- 1/2 cup sugar plus a bit more as needed for sprinkling
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) sweet butter
- 2/3 cup cut-up apple (about 1 medium apple-use a bit more if you like)
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 baking sheets. Combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter, but be careful not to overmix. Stir the apple pieces into this mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the apple mixture and blend briefly. Drop the batter in clumps onto the baking sheets. You may either make large scones (you’ll end up with 6 to 8 of them) or smallish ones (12 to 16).
- Sprinkle additional sugar on top for added flavor and crunch. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes, depending on size.