Mary Reilly, publisher of the “Edible Pioneer Valley,” showed us how to make a special treat for Father’s Day, candied bacon!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne, if desired
- Other seasonings, see note
- Heat the oven to 325.
- Cover two baking sheets with sheets of parchment or a non-stick baking mat.
- Combine sugar, pepper, and cayenne, if using, in a large bowl. Add the bacon, and toss well to coat with sugar mixture.
- Place the bacon on the baking sheets in a single layer. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until bacon is crisp. Carefully remove from sheets, let cool slightly, and enjoy!
- Note: Try adding spices like cinnamon or coriander to the sugar mixture. If you want a little more kick, glug in a little bourbon to make a sugar paste.