CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) Have you heard the phrase, Sitting is the New Smoking? There’s more and more medical evidence that sitting all day is hazardous to your health. Today, Pain Specialist Ginny Hamilton is here to show us some simple stretches we can do to counteract the effects of sitting all day.Preventive steps
- Shoulders over hips
- Elbows in at your sides
- Low back support (a small pillow works great) at belt height
- Take a movement break every 25 minutes
Release low back tension caused by too much sitting
- Slacken your hip flexors
- Lie on the floor near a couch, chair, or ottoman
- Bend your knees to a right angle and rest your calves and feet on the furniture
- Your body will make the letter Z shape or like you are sitting, but tipped on your back
- Relax your body, letting the floor and furniture fully support your body so your muscles don’t have to work.
- Rest here for at least 2 minutes
- Lengthen your lap
- Stand up straight and gently lean back to lengthen the muscles in your lap
- Step one foot up on a chair, step, or box and gently press your hips forward to feel a stretch in the front of your hip and thigh
- Gently twist, either sitting or standing, for at least 30 seconds each side.
Stretch your chest, arms wide to counteract the hunch of sitting.Remember, gentle, longer stretches work best. If you can’t hold the stretch for 30- 60 seconds, you’re in too deep!