We simplified a favorite Italian dessert! Nancy Parent, owner of Tiers of Joy, showed us how to make Cone-olis.
– Large bowl
– Fine-mesh sieve
– Medium bowl
– Resealable plastic bag
– Small spatula (icing spatula) or a butter knife
– 6 sugar ice cream cones
– 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate, melted
– 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate, finely chopped OR mini chocolate chips
– 1 ¼ cup ricotta cheese
– ¼ cup cream cheese at room temperature
– 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar (plus more for dusting the cones when finished)
– 1 tsp orange zest
– 1 tsp vanilla
– ¼ tsp almond extract
– 2 TBLS finely chopped pistachios
– Put the ricotta in the sieve and set over a medium bowl. Refrigerate for 30 min
– Melt 2 ounces of chocolate (I put it in a microwaveable bowl and heat it in 30 second increments, stirring after each)
– Use a small spatula or butter knife to spread the chocolate inside each cone- this will keep your cones from getting soggy once they are filled.
– After the ricotta has drained for 30 min. transfer it to a mixing bowl
– Add: cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar, both extracts and orange zest. Mix approx. 1 minute. Fold in 3 TBLS of the finely chopped chocolate. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
– Transfer filling to a reseable bag. Snip off one corner and pipe filling into the cones.
– Gently press the remaining chocolate pieces and pistachio into the exposed ricotta filling. Dust cones with confectioner’s sugar.