CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) Looking for a new dessert? Barbara Feldman Morse is the author of ‘Madelines’ and she’s here to make Dark Chocolate Espresso Madeleines.DARK CHOCOLATE-ESPRESSO MADELEINES
- Yield: 24
- Preheat oven: 325 degrees
- Coat 2 madeleine pans with baking spray, set aside
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips or 4 oz. chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 TBS. instant espresso powder dissolved in 1/3 cup warm water or 1/3 cup strong black coffee
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (1 cup gluten free flour maybe substituted as needed with great results)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, either Dutch-processed or natural
- Chocolate Glaze: 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or 8 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate
Optional: edible gold stars, twinkles, sprinkles or sparklesInstructions:
- 1: Place butter, sugar, chocolate and coffee into a 2-quart microwavable bowl. Microwave on low power for 1-2 minutes. Stir mixture with a whisk until smooth. If butter is not melted, return to microwave for 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until smooth. Let mixture cool 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2: Add eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each, until completely blended. Add the flour and cocoa, whisking in thoroughly. The mixture will be dark, thick and shiny.
- 3: Using a 1 1/2-inch diameter scoop, fill the shell molds with batter until almost full.
- 4: Bake for about 10-13 minutes until the madeleines puff up and no shiny spots remain in the centers. Small cracks may appear but be careful not to overbake. Remove pans from the
oven on a wire rack to cool 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a small offset spatula remove each madeleine to a platter.
- Chocolate Glaze and making the mads really pretty:
- Melt the 2 chips of semisweet chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl on low for 1-2 minutes. Stir until smooth.
- Place a piece of waxed paper on a cookie sheet or large wire rack. Hold each madeleine by it’s side and dip into the melted chocolate about 1/3 of the madeleine. Scrape the flat side on the side of the bowl to remove the excess glaze and place onto the waxed paper.
- Sprinkle with the edible holiday sparkly glitter if desired before the chocolate sets. Allow to dry completely.
- These mads freeze beautifully…layer between wax paper in freezer containers to enjoy later!