CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) – It’s natural to want to give things to your children, but giving in can create a false sense of entitlement. Dr. Rob Robinson, Clinical Director of Family Care Counseling Associates in Wilbraham, shared important tips for parents.
Dealing with Entitlement in ChildrenSeveral major issues with entitlement and children:
– The creation of the “it’s your job to make me happy” mentality
– Children never learn how to deal with frustration and miss the opportunity to develop resilience
– Children develop the “Big Me” and a “Little We” mentalityWays to curb entitlement in children:
– Use a John Rosmond guideline: “children should be given everything they need and very little of what the simply want”.
– Provide a daily dose of Vitamin “N”. (the power of hearing the word “no”)
– Teach the “money doesn’t grow on trees” lesson by allowing children to earn what they want.
– Make sure the family is “parent-centered” not “child-centered”.
– Allow children to have chores around the house.
– Use consequences