Before we know it, Fall will be here which means all things apples! Jennifer Remillard with Sassy Mamas’ Delectable Cupcakes showed us how to make drunken apple cupcakes.
Drunken Apple Cupcakes (Yields Approx. 24 Cupcakes)
- 2.5 C (10.63 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking soda
- 1 TSP salt
- 2 TSP cinnamon
- ½ TSP Nutmeg
- 1/3 C unsalted butter, melted
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 C hard apple cider, room temperature
- 1 C buttermilk, room temperature
- ½ TSP vanilla extract
- 1 C chopped apples
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- ¼ TSP cinnamon
- 1 TBSP Whiskey
- 1 C (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 5-6 C confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ¼ C whiskey
- ¼ TSP cinnamon
- 1 TSP vanilla
- Pinch of salt
Creating the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tins with compostable liners. Set aside.
- Combine apples, 1TBSP brown sugar, ¼ TSP cinnamon, and whiskey in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to marinade.
- Melt unsalted butter in a saucepan. Pour into bowl of electric mixer, let cool. Once cooled, mix in buttermilk, egg, sugars, and vanilla. Mix gently.
- Combine sifted flour, baking soda, 2 TBSP cinnamon, ½ TSP nutmeg, and salt into a medium mixing bowl.
- Next, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Scrape down the sides. Slowly stir in the hard cider, beat until just combined – be careful not to over mix.
- Gently fold in the apple mixture.
- Using a 3 TBSP scoop, fill cupcake tins. Bake for 18 minutes, rotating them half way through if needed. Cool the cupcakes in the pan for about 5 minutes, then remove them from pan to cool on cooling racks.
Creating the Frosting:
- In the bowl of electric mixer, beat unsalted butter for about 4 minutes. Then add sifted confectioners’ sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Next, slowly pour in the whiskey and hard cider, and vanilla extract; beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Using a 1M decorating tip, frost the cupcakes.