(Mass Appeal) – Looking to spice up your dinner plans? We have the recipe for you! I’m here with Jessie-Sierra Ross, of the blog Straight to the Hips, Baby, as she shows us an easy recipe for ground beef tacos. It doesn’t have to be Tuesday to enjoy these, that’s for sure.
Easy Ground Beef Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema
6 oz ground beef, 92% lean 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice ½ teaspoon lime zest 2 teaspoons garlic powder 2 teaspoons chili powder 1 teaspoon onion powder 1 teaspoon dried oregano ½ teaspoon kosher salt ¼ teaspoon cumin ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika flour or corn soft tortillas
Optional toppings include, fresh tomatoes, shredded cheese, salsa, avocado slices, red onion, shredded lettuce and pickled onions.
- Using a box grater, zest your lime. Using a fork, juice the lime.
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and bring to temperature.
- Once hot, add the ground beef to the skillet and allow to brown. Be sure to break up any large chunks of meat with a sturdy spatula.
- When the meat is ¾ of the way cooked, add the spices, lime juice, and lime zest. Stir to combine. Cook fully.
- Serve with fresh salsa, shredded cheese, avocado slices, radish slices, cilantro and sour cream.
Cilantro Lime Crema
makes 8 ounces
¾ cup sour cream 3 tablespoons mayonnaise 1/3 cup packed cilantro ½ large jalapeño, seeded 1 teaspoon of fresh lime zest 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice salt & pepper to taste
- Wash and dry your jalapeño pepper and herbs. Trim any cilantro stems and roughly chop the cilantro leaves.
- Add the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime zest, lime juice, jalapeño, and cilantro to the bowl of a food processor. Next, add a generous pinch of salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper.
- Pulse to mix until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer your crema to a medium sized bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, to allow the flavors to blend.
- This crema is also delicious on wings, nachos, or as a creamy salad dressing!
makes 1.5 cups
2 large ripe tomatoes, finely diced 1/2 medium purple onion, finely diced 1 small jalapeno pepper, finely diced Juice of half a lime, reserve other half for adjusting the acid after mixing 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro large pinch of kosher salt
- In a sieve, add the diced tomatoes and gently squeeze some of the tomato juice into a bowl. Discard the extra juice.
- In a large bowl combine the diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Add a generous pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Taste and add more lime juice and salt to taste.