CHICOPEE, Mass (Mass Appeal) – Our series on ‘Herbs: A to Z’ continues with herbs that begin with the letter ‘K.’ Carol Joyce is the Owner of White Buffalo Herbs in Warwick, shared more about Kava Kava, Kelp, Knotweed, & Kudzo.
To follow our series on Herbs ‘A to Z’ click here.KELP Sprinkle
- 2 kelp leaves
- Plant dryer or paper plate holder
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1.Dry kelp leaves (after rinsing lightly)
- 2. Sprinkle lightly on food for a salty taste or add to stews & soups. Add pepper.
- 3. If using carrageenan, it can be used to thicken & give salty flavor.
KAVA KAVA Celebration Drink
- 2 Tsp dried Kava Kava root (organic if possible)
- 1 can coconut milk (unsweetened)
- Pat of Butter
- Sprinkle of Nutmeg
- 2 mugs
- 1.Place kava kava root in saucepan & cover with coconut milk
- 2. Bring milk combo to a boil & gently simmer for 30 minutes. Check it is NOT boiling or drying out.
- 3. Add pat of butter.
- 4.Take off heat & strain
- 5. Pour into mugs.
- 6. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg (optional) & serve.
- CAUTION: do not drink if you are going to drive or operate machinery (treat like an alcoholic drink). This is a lovely after dinner drink, esp. at Thanksgiving time. Allow 1 hour to enjoy the good karma!.