CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) You can use herbs for so much more than cooking! Carol Joyce is the Owner of White Buffalo Herbs in Warwick showed us how to use Mint in cooking & cosmetics.
To follow our series on Herbs, click here.MINT Salsa (w/optional Zucchini spirals)
- ½ c. chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup chopped mint leaves (fresh
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup EACH chopped yellow & green pepper
- ½ cup chopped cukes, peeled & deseeded
- ½ tsp. chopped garlic
- ¼ cup red cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp dried ginger or 1 TBSP grated fresh ginger
- Pinch salt
- optional: ½ tsp natural sugar or sprinkle of Stevia
- 1 or 2 medium fresh Zucchini (optional)
- Vegetable spiraler (optional)
1. Chop all ingredients.
2. Mix chopped ingredients in a ceramic bowl.
3. In separate bowl mix ginger (fresh or powdered), salt, & vinegar
4. Pour over ingredients & let sit at least 30-60 minutes, in refrigerator to meld flavors.
5. Add sugar, if desired.
6. Great chilled & served with pork, lamb, chicken as a condiment OR mix with HOT rice or pasta for a new twist.
7. Or try my new favorite: Mix it with stir fried ZUCCHINI spirals. Yum!Taste of Summer Syrup
- Handful fresh torn Mint leaves (or ¼ cup dried leaf)
- Boiling water
1. Pour water over leaf in a saucepan,
2. Heat to a simmer & stir for 20 minutes.
3. Take off heat & strain out leaf (put in compost bin)
4. Add ¼ cup honey.
5. Heat on low heat & stir for 10 more minutes until reduced to half.
5. Pour into clean jar, cap & label.
6. Store in fridge for no more than 2 weeks.
Put 1 tsp. of syrup in glass, add ice & seltzer. Stir. Wonderful added to lemonade.Classic Mint Julep
- 4-6 mint leaves
- Sprig of mint
- 2 tsp. powdered sugar
- 2 ounces Bourbon
1. Put leaves in glass
2. Add powdered sugar & “muddle” or stir/crush for a minute
3. Add Water & continue “muddling”
4.Pour in bourbon & stir.
5. Add ice & garnish with a sprig of mint.
6. Enjoy!MINT Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 Tbsp Dry milk powder
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 dropperful essential oil
- clean jar
1. Mix 1st 3 ingredients in bowl.
2. Add favorite essential oil (I like Spearmint-milder than peppermint)
3. Spoon into clean jar & cap.
4. Use in tub or shower for face, or elbows & feet. Refreshing!
5. Always rinse with warm water when done scrubbing.MINT Sprayer
- 1 ounce distilled water
- 10 drops spearmint or 3 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 oz spray bottle
1. Mix EO with water. Do NOT use anything but distilled water or it will go bad.
2. Pour into spray bottle & use. Spritz skin for refreshing, cooling feeling.
3. Hint: peppermint is VERY strong, so use it sparingly.