CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) You can use herbs for so much more than cooking! Carol Joyce is the Owner of White Buffalo Herbs in Warwick showed us how to use basil in cooking & cosmetics. To follow our series on Herbs ‘A to Z’ click here. ‘B’ is for Basil BASIL LOVE Potion
- 3-5 fresh BASIL leaves
- Small bottle or 2 cups of favorite wine
- Ceramic or stainless saucepan
- Wine Glasses
- 1.Lightly crush basil leaves with back of spoon or in mortar & pestle
- 2.Add BASIL to 1-2 cups of favorite wine in a stainless or ceramic saucepan.
- 3.DO NOT use aluminum or cast iron-turns it black.
- 4. Bring to barely a simmer & “steep” or “mull” mixture over low heat 5-10 minutes.
- 5. Strain & cool to room temperature.
- 6. Pour into wine glasses & Garnish with a sprig of basil on each glass
- 7. Sip & savor together!
- It’s spicy aroma & sweet/tart taste is said to help you feel ROMANTIC!
- For more ROMANCE: Make a romantic meal: slice fresh BASIL leaves & sprinkle over tomatoes & mozzarella or salad; serve with BASIL pesto mixed into hot pasta & add a sprinkle of dried BASIL to your garlic bread before heating. Even sprinkle fresh shreds of BASIL over vanilla ice cream & cinnamon for a special dessert. Have a small amount of favorite coffee (to cleanse your palate & keep you awake for later). Drink the BASIL-infused wine AFTER your meal….
BASIL Hair Conditioner
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Basil leaf (or 1 tbsp dried)
- Boiling Water
- Unbreakable container
- 1.Put basil in a cup
- 2.Bring water to a boil & pour 1 cup over fresh basil leaf
- 3. Steep 10-15 minutes
- 4. Strain into unbreakable container for use in shower or bath
- 5. Cool
- 6. Pour over hair after washing or add to favorite conditioner. Helps give a healthy shine to dark hair & smell terrific! (Hint, can also be applied to skin to help with acne breakouts!)
More Body Care with BASIL
- 4-10 drops steam distilled Basil Essential Oil
- 1 oz. Distilled Water
- 1 oz spray bottle (prefer glass)
- 1. Pour distilled water into glass spray bottle.
- 2. Add 4-10 drops of Basil Essential Oil (EO)
- 3. Put on sprayer top.
- 4. Label.
- 5. Shake before using (to mix oil & water)
- 6. Apply directly to skin (avoid eyes & fine clothing)
- Said to be uplifting & improve mental clarity. When mixed with lavender & mint, traditionally used for headaches. *Caution: avoid basil essential oil when pregnant.