CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) You can use herbs for so much more than cooking! Carol Joyce is the Owner of White Buffalo Herbs in Warwick showed us how to use garlic in cooking & cosmetics.
To follow our series on Herbs ‘A to Z’ click here.GARLIC Sauce (Aglio e Olio)
- 1 Bulb Garlic (Peeled, crushed & chopped)
- 1 red onion, sliced thin (optional)
- 1 handful parsley
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ stick of butter & 1 pat
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil for sauteing
- 1 Tbsp Daily Dash (optional)
- ¼ c. olive oil for sauce
- Black Pepper & Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Spaghetti & water to boil it in. (reserve 1 cup spaghetti water after it cooks to help thicken sauce)
Bring pasta water to boil & add pasta.
when you drain it, keep 1 cup of its water aside to put in sauce.While it is cooking:
1.Warm 2 T olive oil & butter in pan & add garlic.
2. Saute quickly (do not burn)
3. Add rest of oil & spices. Stir
4. Cook over low heat for 5 min. to reduce.
5. Add wine & bring to a simmer.
6. Cook 2 min.
7. Add another pat of butter & stir to thicken.
8. Strain spaghetti.
8a. Pour reserved spaghetti water into sauce to help thicken & stir.
9. Cook 5 min more.
10 Pour over spaghetti & Stir.
11. Add grated parmesean (fresh is best).Serve with loaf of Italian bread & salad. Yum!
Garlic Honey (for sore throats or coughs)
- Place (submerge) 3 cloves (peeled) into a small jar of honey.
- Cover & leave in dark place for 2 weeks or until garlic is clear & soft)
- Remove garlic cloves.
- Use: add 1 tsp to a cup of hot tea or water. Or eat 1 tsp as is.
- 1 bulb GARLICl
- 1 cup organic Olive Oil
- Crock Pot
- Vit E capsule crushed
1. Divide Garlic into cloves.
2. With flat of big knife, crush & then peel easily.
3. Put into crock pot
4. Pour oil over.
Cover & cook on low for 12 hours.
Strain & cap.
Mark & keep in refrigerator. (If cloudy, discard)GARLIC OIL can be used for stimulating hair growth, coughs & colds (w/honey)