CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) You can use herbs for so much more than cooking! Carol Joyce is the Owner of White Buffalo Herbs in Warwick showed us how to use Juniper Berries in cooking & cosmetics.JUNIPER “Jolt” Extract – NOT for use when pregnant or diabetic.
- Clean glass ball jar
- Juniper berries (dried) to fill 1/5 of the jar
- Indelible Marking Pen
- 1. Pour berries up to 1/5 of the jar. Pour 100 proof vodka over to cover.
- 2.Cap & label with name & date.
- 3.Put in cool, dark cupboard & shake daily for 6 weeks.
- Always consult your physician before using herbals.
- This can be used as a “bitter” to aid in digestion or add a JUNIPER JOLT to any liquer for an unusual “GIN” flavor.
Juniper Anti-bacterial Oil (use with care**)
- 1 ounce Organic Olive Oil
- 10 drops Juniper Essential Oil (NOT Cade Oil)
- glass jar with lid
- 1. Put Essential oil drops in Olive Oil & Stir..
Use to help with dandruff (apply lightly to scalp with fingers, rub & then shampoo out) or apply a few drops of mixture to acne flare ups. Some may apply it directly to warts.
- **Traditionally used for acne, warts, athlete’s foot, & eczema. Some folk remedies mention it is helpful for arthritis, too.
- Diabetics should avoid any Juniper as it may lower blood sugar. Do not use if on water pills (it is a diuretic). Do not se if pregnant or if you have kidney issues.
To follow our series on Herbs ‘A to Z’ click here.