CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) You can use herbs for so much more than cooking! Carol Joyce is the Owner of White Buffalo Herbs in Warwick showed us how to use Urtica Dioca (Nettles) in cooking & cosmetics.URTICA Pesto
- 1/4 cup dried nettles (or ½ cup fresh, blanched)
- 3-4 cloves of fresh garlic, smashed
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp milk or cream
- Daily Dash
- Salt & pepper added to taste.
NOTE: only use fresh Nettles picked in early Spring & identified by a qualified gardener or herbalist, Blanch for 1 minute to help remove the sting.
1. Pulse walnuts until finely chopped in food processor., pour into bowl & set aside
2. Pulse garlic in processor til finely smashed.
3. Add in olive oil & pulse again.
4. Mix in nuts & dried nettles.
5. Pulse together.
6. Add ½ cup favorite chopped cheese (parmesean is best)
7. Mix all together in processor or by hand.
Serve over hot pasta. Yum!
Serves 4URTICA & Garlic Dip
- 1/3 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp powdered Garlic or (2 Tbsp fresh chopped & smashed)
- 1/8 cup powdered (dried) Urtica (Nettles)
- Heavy tsp of Daily Dash
1. Mix all together & chill for 1 hour before serving with chips or warm torillas.
Hint: Yummy on enchiladas or tacos, too!Multi-purpose Nettles TEA
- ½ tsp dried Nettles
- 1tsp dried Oatstraw
- pinch dried mint
- 2 cups boiling water
1 Put herbs in a teapot.
2. Pour boiling water over
3. Steep 15 min
4. Strain & use:
Hint: use for allergies; to nourish your body; to add to bath if you have trouble with excema
To follow our series on Herbs ‘A to Z’ click here.