Let the good times roll with this southern bread pudding. You can flambe the sauce for an extra wow factor. Emily Meunier, chef at Theodore’s Booze Blues and BBQ brings us her recipe.
Bananas Foster Bread Pudding
For the Bread Pudding:
8 cups stale bread, cubed (can use French, brioche or Italian bread)
3 large eggs (lightly beaten)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon banana liqueur
1 tablespoon dark rum
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 ripe bananas, slice
2 cups milk
For the Foster Sauce:
4 Tablspoons butter
1/2 cup dark rum
1/4 cup banana liqueur
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 large ripe bananas, sliced
Vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350′. Butter a 9×12 baking dish and place on baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 eggs and brown sugar. Add vanilla, banana
liqueur, rum, salt and cinnamon. Add milk and whisk until well combined.
3. Place bread in large bowl and pour milk mixture over cubes, stir to soak all pieces.
Allow to sit for 30 min – 45min. (May add more milk if mixture appears dry)
4. Stir banana slices into bread mixture and transfer to baking dish. Cover with
5. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle with 2 T. Brown sugar and place back
in oven for 15-20 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
6. While pudding bakes, make the sauce:
Melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir and add banana
slices and toss to coat. Add rum and banana liqueur and bring to a low boil for
3-4 minutes to allow alcohol to burn off. Keep warm.
7. Serve pudding warm with scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with banana foster
sauce and powdered sugar. Enjoy!