A simple recipe for these delicious prohibition era cupcakes! Jennifer Remillard, Owner of Sassy Mamas’ Delectable Cupcakes showed us how to make the recipe!
Maximilian Affair Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 tbsp. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ c of Mescal
- ¼ c of elderflower liquor
- 2 tbsp. of sweet vermouth
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1/4 c milk (preferably whole)
- 4 Sticks of Unsalted Butter (2 c)
- 7 c confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsp. Mescal
- 2 tbsp. elderflower liquor
- 1 tsp sweet vermouth
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of Salt
Creating the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners and set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture and beat to combine. Add half of the alcohol, lemon juice, and milk. then half of the milk and beat to combine.
- Add another third of the flour, then the remaining liquor, lemon juice, and milk; then the rest of the flour, beating to combine after each addition.
- Divide the batter between the liners, filling each about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the cupcakes are golden-brown and spring back when pressed lightly.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Creating the Frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, beat the unsalted butter with salt until smooth.
- Add confectioner’s sugar, adding the liquid ingredients after 3 ½ cups, then adding last sugar and then the liquid ingredients.
- Using a 1M tip, frost the cooled cupcakes.