A simple and delicious recipe to celebrate National Pecan Pie Day! Nancy Parent, Owner of Tiers of Joy in Ludlow showed us how to make these delicious pecan pie bars.
- 3/4 cup butter (12 tablespoons, 6 ounces), softened
- 1/2 cup (3.75 ounces) light brown sugar
- 2 cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter (12 tablespoons, 6 ounces), melted
- 1 1/2 cups (11.25 ounces) light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup OR pure maple syrup, NOT pancake syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9X13-inch pan with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- FOR THE CRUST, in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a bowl using a handheld electric mixer, beat together the butter and brown sugar until creamy, 1-2 minutes. Add the flour and salt, and mix until combined. It will be crumbly (might be easier to finish the mixing with your hands).
- Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes until just barely golden. (you will Bake it longer with the filling).
- FOR THE FILLING, in a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, syrup (either corn syrup OR pure maple syrup), cream, salt, and eggs until well-combined. Stir in the pecans.
- Pour the filling evenly over the crust, using a spatula to make sure the pecans aren’t clumped up in any area (just get them as evenly distributed as possible).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are starting to set and the mixture is bubbling. The middle will still be a little jiggly but will set up as the bars cool. If the middle seems overly soupy when the pan is shaken gently, bake for another few minutes, but keep in mind you definitely want to take the bars out before the middle is set.
- Let the bars cool completely before cutting into squares. These are delicious at room temperature or chilled.
- Mix in 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mix in 1 c cinnamon chips
- Mix in 1 cup dried cherries