Dan Whalen, from the Food in my Beard, taught us how to make pomegranate chicken meatballs.
1 pound ground chicken
1/4 cup chopped parsley (plus 2 additional tablespoons for garnish)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (plus 2 additional tablespoons for garnish)
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 onion, finely grated
1 teaspoon turmeric
salt and pepper to taste
8 ounces pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
seeds from 1 pomegranate
1. In a large bowl, mix the chicken, parsley, walnuts, breadcrumbs, onion, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Mix well until fully combined. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. In a sauce pan, cook the pomegranate juice on low for about 30 minutes until reduced slightly.
3. Form small meatballs, between 1 and 1.5 inches in diameter. You should end up with about 30 meatballs
4. In a large frying pan, heat some olive oil. Add the meatballs to the pan one by one and cook on high to brown. Stir every 3 minutes or so with a spatula by running the flat side of the spatula along the bottom of the pan, gently rotating and stirring the meatballs without breaking them.
5. Once the meatballs are browned on a few sides, add the vinegar, reduced pomegranate juice, and honey. Cook for another 15 minutes or so, until the sauce has formed a sticky glaze and the meatballs are cooked through.
6. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the pomegranate seeds. Pour the meatballs onto a serving platter and top with the parsley and walnuts. Serve.