Moe Shea, from the Hood Cafe, taught us how to use seasonal, local fruits to whip up a fruit crumble.
For the Crumble:
● 2 cups all-purpose flour
● 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
● 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
● 3/4 cup white sugar
● 3/4 cup frozen salted butter
● 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
● 1 large egg
● 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, or as needed
For the Fruit Mixture:
● 1 cups fruit(s) of your choice
● 1 teaspoon lemon zest
● 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
● 1/3 cup white sugar
● 2 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl. Whisk until thoroughly
combined. Grate in the frozen butter, stopping occasionally to toss the butter into
the flour mixture until coated. Drizzle in vanilla extract; add egg. Stir with a fork
until egg is mostly absorbed. Add vinegar; mix briefly. Use your hands to finish
mixing, squeezing until clumps but mixture remains mostly dry. Add 1 teaspoon
vinegar if needed.
3. Combine fruit in another bowl. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and
cornstarch. Mix until sugar and cornstarch are mostly dissolved.
4. Place about 1/2 of the crumble mixture into the bottom of a 2-quart baking dish.
Press mixture down using a flat cup until well compacted. Spread the berries
over the crust. Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture on top.
5. Bake in the preheated oven until top is beautifully browned and fruit syrup
bubbles on the surface, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, about 30
6. Top with whipped cream or ice cream (Optional)