Tinky Weisblat, the Diva of Deliciousness, taught us how to make a matzah-fun breakfast, with matzah brei.
2 tablespoons butter or chicken fat (plus a little more if needed)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 pieces matzo, broken into small pieces
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
1/2 cup salsa
- Melt the butter or fat in a 10-inch skillet. Sauté the onion over medium-low heat until it is a light brown, about 10 minutes.
- While the onion is sautéing, place the matzo pieces in a colander, and place the colander in the sink. Pour boiling water over the matzo until all the pieces are damp. Drain the matzo pieces in the colander.
- Set aside about 1/4 cup of the cheese. Whisk together the eggs and the remaining cheese in a large bowl. Stir in the drained matzo pieces.
- Add this mixture to the onions, adding a little more butter/fat if needed to keep the eggs from sticking. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring as needed, until the eggs set.
- Spoon the egg mixture onto a serving plate. Pour the salsa on top, and garnish with the remaining cheese.