We all know that going back to school is tough, but making new friends could be even more difficult, which is why Clinical Psychologist Dr. Tim Hope shared 10 ways you can help your kids make friends!
1. Be an “emotion coach.”
2. Practice authorative (not authoritarian) parenting
3. Teach kids how to converse in a polite way
4. Foster empathy and sympathetic concern for others.
5. Help kids “read” facial expressions.
6. Coach kids on how to cope with tricky social situations.
7. Monitor kids’ social life
8. When possible, let kids try to work things out on their own
9. Watch out for bullying
10. Be aware of cultural differences