Shawn Sherry, owner of Paw Street Barkery, taught us how to make a strawberry heart treat for our dogs this Valentine’s Day.
Puppy Love Strawberry Heart Dog Treats
Ingredients: 8oz Quick Oats, 4oz Strawberries, 4oz Water, 1 Cup Carob Chips, 3 Tbs Canola Oil
Materials: Oven, Baking Sheet, Blender, Measuring Cup, Mixing Bowl, Sharp Knife, Rolling Pin, Heart Shaped Cookie Cutter, Microwave, Microwavable Cup, Wax Paper or Silicone Pad
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
2. Wash and slice up strawberries and then add to blender.
3. Add water to blender and blend on high for 10 seconds.
4. Into a mixing bowl, add oats and berry purée and mix until a uniform dough is seen.
5. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/2″ thickness.
6. With the heart shaped cutter, cut out treats and place onto non-greased baking sheet.
7. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes, remove tray from oven, flip treats and return to oven.
8. Bake at 275F for 30 additional minutes.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
10. Add carob chips and canola oil to microwavable cup.
11. Place into microwave for 30 seconds, remove to stir and then return to microwave for additional 15 seconds. Stir until all carob chips are melted.
12. Dip the cooled treats into the carob so that half the treat is covered.
13. Place dipped treat onto the wax paper and let sit for 10 minutes to harden.
14. Store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.