SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Firefighters in Springfield were called to two fires overnight that both appeared to be caused by careless cigarette disposal.

Springfield Fire Department spokesman Dennis Leger told 22News a call for the first fire at 66 Mattoon Street came in around 11 p.m. Monday night.

Leger said firefighters found and rescued a man lying unconscious on a mattress while the apartment he was in burned. He was taken to Baystate Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Leger said the fire appeared to be caused by the careless disposal of cigarettes and noted had the apartment building’s alarm system not been working properly, crews may not have been able to get to the man in time.

Calls for a second fire at 121 Robert Dyer Circle came in just after 2 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Spokesman Leger said a person living at an apartment there had gone out to a store but when he returned, his living room had caught fire.

Leger said that fire was also caused by improper cigarette disposal. No one was hurt but the man living in the unit was not able to return there for the night.