An Agawam business was damaged by a large fire Friday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to Lucia Lumber on Silver Street around 1:30 p.m. When our 22News crews got there, there was heavy black smoke and flames coming from the roof of the building.
Propane gas tanks were exploding when firefighters arrived to put out the out-of-control fire at the Agawam lumber yard. Agawam Fire Lt. Ed Linehan told 22News the maintenance building was fully engulfed in flames when they first got to Lucia Lumber Company at 777 Silver Street.
Police had the area of 777 Silver Street shut down while firefighters worked to put out that fire.
Lt. Linehan said the maintenance building was a total loss, and that all of the contents inside were a total loss. He said the 4,000 square foot building was used to store forklifts, trucks and other equipment used in lumber yard operations and maintenance.
No one was hurt and the cause of the fire has yet to be determined.