WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Roofs, homes and yards took a beating this winter. As anxious as you might be to start on repairs and yard work, the Better Business Bureau recommends doing your homework first.
Before hiring a home improvement business, there are some guidelines to follow.
- Read reviews of a company on the Better Business Bureau website.
- Get at least three bids or quotes from businesses before choosing one and remember that a low bid might mean low quality materials.
- Ask for at least three references.
- Make sure the business is properly licensed.
- Don’t sign a contract until you’ve read everything through.
“I did hire a chemical lawn care company and I was not pleased with the results. I got the run-around when I called them up and once I started doing it myself, it worked out much better for me,” said Jim Dickson, of West Springfield.
The Better Business Bureau has recently received over 137,000 inquiries into home improvement businesses, including roofers, contractors, landscapers and remodelers.