BOSTON (WWLP) – The Better Business Bureau is advising NFL fans to beware of ticket scams when purchasing tickets to playoff games.
According to the BBB, tickets are at high demand during the playoff season, and related scams are also expected to be on the rise.
The New England Patriots are scheduled to host the Kansas City Chiefs in Foxborough, Mass. Saturday. Ticket buyers throughout the state and New England who are interested in attending the game at Gillette Stadium could be at risk for these ticket scams.
The BBB, however, suggested the following tips to make sure your tickets will actually get you to the big game:
- Purchase from the venue – Use the official ticket sales agent for the venue.
- Consider your source – There are ticket brokers who are accredited re-sellers of tickets, ticket scalpers who are unregulated and unlicensed, and scammers who sell fake tickets.
- Check out the seller – The BBB offers a search engine on their website, BBB.org, where you can search the seller and see what other customers have experienced, as well as see if they are a member of the National Association of Ticket Brokers.
- Buy only from trusted vendors – Look for the lock symbol in the web address bar, as it indicates a secure purchasing system.
- Know the refund policy – Tickets should only be purchased from sellers who provide clear details about the terms of the transaction.
- Use protected payment methods – Debit cards and cash are risky when making ticket purchases because you wouldn’t be able to get your money back if the tickets turn out to be fraudulent. Credit cards are the best bet, according to the BBB, when purchasing tickets.
- Be wary of advertisements – Attractive advertisements which unusually low ticket prices will often appear when buyers search for tickets. Scammers sometimes create websites with similar spelling to legitimate ones.
- Verify your tickets – If possible, the BBB advises buyers to pay a visit to the venue of the game before gameday arrives. Will Call employees can verify the legitimacy of tickets.