The East States Exposition, or the Big E, will return in two days and go from September 14 to September 30.
Last year’s Big E attracted more than 1.5-million visitors, a record turnout.
Eastern States President Gene Cassidy told 22News visitors should expect to see a lot that’s new this year. “Last year we really changed the model for entertainment. And we’ve increased the opportunity for people to interact with big name talent on a grand scale. We have 50-percent more entertainment this year than we’ve had in the past.”
This will be the 102nd edition of the Big E. Many of the concession operators have been coming back for decades. Dennis Fraleigh, who operates several food concessions has been a mainstay at the fair for 36 years. To him, it’s like coming home. “It’s definitely I would say, in the top ten in the country. I’ve been coming here for so long, to me, it’s one of the better fairs.”
22News is working for you with what you need to know.
Advance tickets will be on sale until the end of the day Wednesday and can be bought online, at the Big E Box Office, and at Big Y stores.
Advance sale tickets are $8 for children ages 6 to 8 and $12 for adults.
Starting Thursday tickets will be $15 and children ages 6 to 8 will be $10. Tickets can be bought at the gate, online, or at any Big Y store.
Children 5 years old and younger get into the Big E for free.
People can also buy a Value Pass that allows them entry into all 17 days of the fair.
More information on ticket options and prices can be found here.
- Opening Day, Friday, Sept. 14, 2018
- Be A Kid for a Day – All ages $10 (also sold online in advance)
- Military Appreciation Day – ID required for free admission for:
~ Active duty and retired military personnel
~ Dependents of active duty military personnel
~ Veterans (no dependents)
- Six-After-Five – Admission is only $6 after 5pm Mon. – Thurs.
- Senior Days – Age 60 and over just $12 Mon. – Thurs.
Cars, motorcycles, vans, and trucks will be able to park on the fairgrounds at Gate 9.
Parking prices for Gate 9 are as follows:
- Cars – $10
- Motorcycles – $5 at Gate 7
- Campers – $20 per space, per day
Parking fees at Gate 9 may only be paid in cash.
Handicapped parking will be available inside the Gate 9 parking area at Gate 9A.
Additional parking will be available at private parking lots in neighborhoods along Memorial Avenue.
For more parking information and directions click here.
CTrail and Amtrak Hartford Line customers can also take a free shuttle from Union Station to the Big E fairgrounds during the weekend.
If using your GPS to get to the fairgrounds you can enter the following addresses:
- Gate 1: 1761 Memorial Avenue (West Springfield, MA 01089)
- Gate 2, Storrowton Village Museum and Storrowton Tavern: 1535 Memorial Avenue
- Gate 9: 875 Memorial Avenue
- Gates: 8am
- Avenue of States: 10am – 9pm
- Storrowton Village: 10am – 9pm
- Most Exhibits & Buildings: 10am – 10pm
- Midway: Sunday – Thursday, 11am – 10pm; Friday, 10am-11pm; Saturday, 10am – 11pm
- Craft Common: 10am – 10pm
- Agricultural Events: Agricultural activities begin early in the morning and are open to the public in the Mallary Complex.
Metal detectors will be used at every gate entrance to the fairgrounds. No weapons are allowed on the fairgrounds and bags are subject to be searched at the gates.