SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – One person has died following an early morning fire on Federal Street Friday.

Springfield firefighters were called to an apartment complex on Federal Street around 3:30 a.m. for a fire. A woman in her 60s was removed from the fire and taken to the hospital for serious injuries but later passed away.

“Our thoughts right now are with the victim’s family and loved ones,” said Springfield Fire Commissioner Calvi. “I want to offer them our heartfelt condolences as they confront this tragedy.” Investigators determined that the fire started with smoking materials, and I want to remind everyone in the community that this is the leading cause of fatal fires in Massachusetts and nationwide.”

(Springfield Police Department)

The Springfield Arson and Bomb Squad has determined the fire started in the living room of a first-floor apartment from improper disposal of smoking materials.

“Fires that start with smoking materials are more likely to be deadly than almost any other type,” said State Fire Marshal Ostroskey. “They have claimed at least 49 lives in Massachusetts over the past five years.  If you smoke or have guests who do, please use a sturdy ashtray with water or sand and put it out, all the way, every time.”

“Our message is: if you smoke, smoke outside. Most deaths result from fires that start in the living room, family rooms, dens, and bedrooms. People not paying attention and not extinguishing it properly, using the proper ashtray or putting it in water to dispose of. Just careless disposal,” added Springfield Fire Department Captain Drew Piemonte.