GREENFIELD, Mass. (AP Modified/WWLP) — A man from Vermont died at the Franklin County correctional house over the weekend.
The Northwestern District Attorney’s Office says the 35-year-old Jamaica, Vermont man was found unresponsive in his cell at the Franklin County jail in Greenfield last Saturday afternoon.
He was taken to Baystate Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield where he died. His name hasn’t been released.
Authorities say he had been arrested by Massachusetts State Police on drug-related charges earlier in the day.
“One of our officers went in and found an inmate who was unresponsive and we immediately alerted our medical personnel who summoned an ambulance. He was taken to Baystate Franklin Medical Center where he died.”-Franklin County Sherrif, Christopher Donelan
The state medical examiner will determine the cause of death.
State police assigned to the district attorney’s office as well as the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office are investigating.
- Deerfield’s Ben Byrne makes it two in a row in the NHSTRA Modifieds at Monadnock
- Massachusetts Primary Election: September 1
- Register to vote in Massachusetts
- Trump replaces campaign manager amid sinking poll numbers
- US executes 2nd man in a week; lawyers said he had dementia