Connecticut officers injured after explosion at barricade scene


NORTH HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) – An explosion took place at a home on Quinnipiac Avenue in North Haven where police and a SWAT team had been involved in a standoff for hours.

North Haven First Selectman Michael J. Freda said in a press conference that a woman was being barricaded in the home for three days.

The woman was able to escape the home, Freda said.

At least six people have been injured and were transported to area hospitals, including a SWAT team member, who had a wound to his leg. 

The suspect has not been located by police, but the police department said there is no current threat to the public.

Several SWAT members had gotten close to the home and were ready to go in before the explosion happened. 

The explosion happened around 8:15 p.m., according to witnesses.

Seven people were brought to Yale-New Haven Hospital as a result of the incident. All are under evaluation. Their injuries are minor, cuts and scrapes from the explosion.

North Haven First Selectman Michael Freda told News 8’s Mario Boone that at least four officers were taken to the hospital.

At least 100 first responders were on the scene following the explosion. More than 30 New Haven SWAT and Bomb Squad officers were assisting in the standoff.

Police have not released details about why they were on scene in North Haven, but confirmed road closures on Quinnipiac Avenue near Orient Lane. They are asking people to avoid the area.

A News 8 crew reported that police officers used a loudspeaker to ask a man to come out of the house. 

A witness told News 8 that they heard gunshots coming from the house.

“We had just gotten done eating dinner, we got up, we heard the explosion, it knocked my wife to the floor,” said one neighbor. “I huddled my family into the bedroom, locked the door, and came out to see what was going on. You could see the house was fully engulfed, you could hear the rounds popping off, I guess he had ammunition in there.”

A neighbor said police officers told neighbors to get in their houses, as more explosions might happen.

“You could hear them every couple of minutes or so over the loudspeaker, just saying, ‘John, please come to the window, please show yourself, we are here to help.’ You could tell they were doing everything they could to have a peaceful solution to this.”

“Right around 8:15, 8:30, a flash went off. The explosion went right through the windows, and hit my roof, and my whole house shook,” said one neighbor. “We were freaking out. I thought my life was going to end.”

Police in North Haven have turned over the investigation to Connecticut State Police.

No further details are available at this time. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on | Digital First

More Digital First

Trending Stories

Donate Today