GREENFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A grand jury has returned a second murder indictment against a man and a woman following a home invasion in Orange in which an elderly couple was killed.
Mary Carey, spokesperson for the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office, says that Joshua Hart and Brittany Smith of Athol are now being charged with the murder of 77 year-old Joanna Fisher. The two had already been indicted for the murder of Fisher’s husband, 95 year-old Thomas Harty.
Harty died in the October 5 home invasion at his East River Street home. A statement of facts of the case released by the prosecution states that he had been stabbed and suffocated with a pillow. The suspects allegedly tried to kill Fisher, but were unsuccessful at the time. She was, however, critically wounded in the attack, and died more than a month later at a Worcester hospital.
The prosecution claims that Hart and Smith went through the home in search of money, and took the victims’ credit and debit cars, and the keys to the victims’ car. The two were arrested in Virginia four days after the home invasion, police were allegedly able to find them because they were using a stolen credit card.
Hart and Smith are expected to be arraigned at Franklin Superior Court in Greenfield on the charge for Fisher’s murder in the coming days.
In total, these are the charges that the couple faces in connection to the Orange home invasion:
- Two counts of Murder
- Two Counts of Home Invasion, one naming each victim
- Two Counts of Armed Robbery, one naming each victim
- Larceny over $250
- Larceny of a Motor Vehicle
- Receiving Stolen Property
- Unauthorized Use of a Credit Card
Related Orange Home Invasion Coverage:
- Not guilty pleas for suspects in Orange home invasion murder
- Jury indicts suspects in deadly home invasion in Orange
- 2nd victim in Orange home invasion died
- Deadly home invasion investigated in Orange
- Orange homicide suspects arrested in Virginia
- Orange murder suspects allegedly committed several crimes within week
- Orange home invasion murder suspects to appear in Orange District Court
- Deadly home invasion suspects plead not guilty
- No bail for man and woman accused of Orange murder