VERNON, Conn. (WWLP) – An arrest has been made in the deadly crash that killed a Springfield school teacher.

There has been an arrest in the deadly crash that killed a Springfield school teacher, and injured a child, along with a police officer earlier this month in Vernon, Connecticut.

33-year-old Phillip Vargas was arrested in Bridgeport, Connecticut on an outstanding arrest warrant, according to the Manchester Police Department.

Police charged Vargas with many offenses, including:

  • Manslaughter, 2nd degree with a motor vehicle
  • Reckless Endangerment, 2nd degree
  • Operating Under the Influence
  • Operating a Motor Vehicle Containing a Passenger Younger than 18 While Under the Influence
  • Risk of Injury to a Minor
  • Failure to Grant Right of Way When Turning Left

On April 2nd at around 7:30 p.m., the regional Metro Traffic Services (MTS) was sent to a motor vehicle accident involving two vehicles in the area of Hartford Turnpike and Center Road, Vernon Connecticut. One of the vehicles was a Vernon police cruiser that was in an emergency response to an active call. The investigation confirmed that Vargas was operating a vehicle westbound on Hartford Turnpike at the intersection of Center Road/Bolton Road.

The vehicle was occupied by Bianca Colon-Hernandez and their one-year-old son. Officer Andre Lisee of the Vernon Police Department was operating a police cruiser that was heading eastbound on Hartford Turnpike.

Officer Lisee was going to an “officer needs assistance” call that was utilizing his emergency lights and siren. Vargas turned left in front of the officer to travel on Bolton Road. The vehicles crashed in the intersection, which caused the death of Colon. Officer Lisee, Mr. Vargas, and the child were also injured in the crash.

Vargas was processed at the Manchester Police Department and held on a $75,000 court-set bond. Vargas is scheduled to be in Tolland Superior Court on Friday.

The investigation confirmed that Vargas was the at-fault operator that caused the accident, and after consultation with State’s Attorney Gedansky, it was determined that there would be no criminal charges against Officer Andre Lisee.