The full hour-long video of the sentencing can be viewed below (starts at :40)
GREENFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The man and woman convicted of first-degree murder in the killings of 95-year-old Thomas Harty and 77-year-old Joanna Fisher have been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Joshua Hart and Brittany Smith were sentenced in Franklin County Superior Court Thursday afternoon after several impact statements were read by the victims’ family members.
Judge John Agostini imposed a second life sentence to be served “on and after” the first sentence, one for each victim. The court displayed photos of Thomas Harty and Joanna Fisher during the victim impact statements.
Don Harty spoke of his father’s loving nature and his love for his wife Joanna.
“My father, I believe, would forgive these two for what they did to him,” said Don. “He would never forgive them for what they did to Joanna.”
Harty and Fisher were brutally attacked in their Orange home back in 2016. Harty died that night, but Fisher was taken to the hospital, where she died weeks later.
In addition to first-degree murder, Hart and Smith were also sentenced on charges of armed robbery, larceny and fraudulent use of credit cards.
Hart will serve his sentence at Massachusetts Correctional Institution-Cedar Junction, while Smith serves her sentence at Massachusetts Correctional Institution – Framingham.
The judge denied a request from Smith’s lawyer to let her stay at a local jail for three weeks so that she could see her children.
Related Orange Home Invasion Coverage:
- Second Orange double murder suspect found guilty
- Verdict reached in Orange double-murder trial
- Trial continues for Orange double murder suspect Joshua Hart
- Trial has begun for one Orange double murder suspect
- Couple indicted on 2nd murder charge in Orange home invasion
- Not guilty pleas for suspects in Orange home invasion murder
- Jury indicts suspects in deadly home invasion in Orange
- Orange murder suspects allegedly committed several crimes within week
- No bail for man and woman accused of Orange murder
- Deadly home invasion suspects plead not guilty
- Orange homicide suspects arrested in Virginia
- 2nd victim in Orange home invasion died
- Deadly home invasion investigated in Orange