ROCHESTER, NY (WROC) – Three people, including the boy’s mother, are facing charges after Rochester police say a young boy needed Narcan, the heroin antidote, after swallowing a baggie.
The boy’s mother 21-year-old Angeline DeJesus, 48-year-old Edaliz Torres and 67-year-old Bartolomeo Blackburn are all charged with endangering the welfare of a child. Torres and Blackburn are also charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance.
Officers were called to Roycroft Drive Sunday afternoon for the report of a nine-month-old boy who was not breathing and not awake.
Firefighter Amon Hudson was one of the first to respond to the call. He says their goal was to get the baby breathing.
“Maybe he put something in his mouth and was choking. Cleared the airway did a couple of compressions of CPR but mainly rescue breathing for the child,” Hudson said.
Police say firefighters were able to clear the child’s airway and found the boy had swallowed a Ziploc-styled bag.
CHS Mobile Integrated Healthcare CEO Reg Allen says ideally kids are given less of the drug to reverse an overdose, but at the end of the day, something is better than nothing.
The boy was then rushed to the hospital where officials administered a dose of Narcan.
“The nice thing about Narcan is it has very few side affects matter fact I don’t believe there are any documented. And it ‘s easy to administer now,” Allen said.