Police said at least one man gets out of a dark color sedan and removes the converters from the bottom of vehicles. The sedan was last known to be traveling northbound on Route 8 the night of January 24 and early morning of January 25.
If anyone has any information, you can call the Adams Police Department at (413) 743-1212 and ask for the detective.
Suggestions to prevent catalytic converter thefts
The Adams Police Department gave the following suggestions on how to protect your catalytic converter.
- When possible, park in well-lit areas and close to building entrances
- If you have a garage at your house, park your car inside and keep the garage door shut
- Have the catalytic converter welded to your car’s frame, which may make it harder to steal
- Consider engraving your vehicle identification number (VIN) on the catalytic converter. This may help alert a scrap dealer that it was stolen and make it easier to identify the owner
- Calibrate your car’s alarm to set off when it detects vibration