SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – A Springfield man is facing charges after he was allegedly found with heroin and an illegal firearm after a traffic stop Friday night.
According to Springfield Police Spokesperson Ryan Walsh, officers conducted a traffic stop near State and Terrence Streets Friday at 7:30 p.m.
Walsh said officers found the driver, who was later identified as 20-year-old Carlos Cruz-Lopez, did not have a license. While Cruz-Lopez was being detained, officers allegedly saw the handle of a firearm on the floor of the car.
The gun was seized by police and Cruz-Lopez was arrested. Walsh said officers also found five bags of heroin on him.
Cruz-Lopez is facing the following charges:
- carrying a loaded firearm without a license
- carrying a firearm without a license
- possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony
- possession with the intent to distribute a class A drug
- unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle
- two counts of speeding at a rate of speed greater than was reasonable