WEST SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Ali Ghaffar has been determined a danger to the community following a dangerousness hearing Thursday and will be held in custody.
The 20-year-old from West Springfield was arrested on March 31st near the Bear Hole Reservoir in West Springfield, where he had allegedly assaulted at least six women from Springfield at gunpoint. Officers arrested him with another victim in the car. He was identified with help from two survivors.
After hearing from the Commonwealth and Ghaffar’s defense lawyer, a Springfield judge determined on Thursday that he is a danger and will be held for 120 days.
In the course of the investigation, members of the Hampden SPDU learned the West Springfield Police Department had been investigating identical reported sexual assaults over the last eight months. Each survivor had been picked up in the City of Springfield and then driven to a remote area of West Springfield where the sexual assaults occurred.
Dates of each incident are as follows:
- March 4, 2022, at approximately 10:20 p.m., assault reported in West Springfield, Morgan Road (Bear Hole),
- February 26, 2022, at approximately 9:30 p.m., assault reported at West Springfield, Middle School
- February 19, 2022, at approximately 9:30 p.m., assault reported in West Springfield, Amostown Rd (Bear Hole)
- January 16, 2022, at approximately 12:30 p.m., assault reported in West Springfield Amostown Rd (Bear Hole)
- July 29, 2021, at approximately 12:30 p.m., assault reported in West Springfield, Amostown Rd (Bear Hole)
- June 11, 2021, at approximately 10:15 p.m., assault reported in West Springfield Amostown Rd (Bear hole)
Ghaffar is charged with the following:
- Aggravated Rape (4 Counts)
- Kidnapping (4 Counts)
- Assault and Battery with a Dangerous Weapon (3 Counts)
- Threat to Commit a Crime (5 Counts)
- Assault with Intent to Rape
- Armed Kidnapping with Sexual Assault
- Rape (2 Counts)
In court on Thursday, Ghaffar pleaded not guilty to these charges.
The District Attorney is asking anyone that may have information on the case or believe they were a victim to this suspect to contact his officer at 413-505-5993 or the West Springfield Police Department at 413-263-3210 ext. 0.