SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – The heat is on, and your air conditioner probably is too. Eversource Energy is reminding customers to be mindful of how much electricity you use this summer to stay cool.
ISO New England operates the region’s power grid and they expect this summer’s demand for electricity to be higher than last year’s.
Kim Rivera of Springfield said, “We really need to make sure we’re prepared for something like a blackout. We need to have emergency plans in place to make sure everyone’s safe.”
Eversource Energy Spokeswoman Priscilla Ress told 22News they do have plans in place; “An outage really is damage to the system. If we see storms, if we see high winds, they bring the limbs down and the wires down. That’s really what threatens the system.
Here are some adjustments Eversource Energy recommends you make, right now, in your own home to save on energy bills this summer:
- Get a no-cost home energy assessment by a professional to see how efficiently you’re using electricity
- Switch to LED light bulbs
- When it comes the AC, place it on an energy efficient setting, and turn it up a few degrees
- If you use a ceiling fan, have the blades move counter clockwise to have the air pushed down
- Draw the blinds to prevent heat from coming in