SIMSBURY, Conn. (WWLP) – Connecticut fire officials are warning the public to be careful when burning wood in fire pits after four people were burned in Simsbury.

According to fire crews, emergency personnel was called to a report of a man on fire at 140 Nod Road, just after 9 Saturday night. A wood-burning fire pit had been “ignited”, burning four people in total and three people were hospitalized.

The Fire Marshal’s office is reminding people that when using these specific fire pits, lighter fluid or gasoline should never be used when starting or tending to a fire. Officials recommend that only clean, dry hardwood that has been seasoned for at least six months should be burned. Chairs, children, and pets are also instructed to stay away from the fire pit. All people around the pit are recommended to stay at least three feet away from the flames, according to the Fire Marshal’s office.

The Simsbury Fire Department and the State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit are both investigating the fire.