SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Ahead of MGM Springfield’s reopening on July 13, 22News walked through the casino Thursday morning to see the new health and safety measures that have been implemented due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
22News toured the following areas:
- Casino Floor: See new protocol throughout the resort, including custom handwashing stations, plexiglass installations, physical distancing of slot machines and table games, cleaning practices and electrostatic sprayers, amongst other topics
- Food & Beverage: Review MGM Springfield’s new protocol, including physical distancing of tables, contactless menu opens, and virtual queuing
“We believe that they’ll recognize right away that this is a clean, safe environment and that we are operating responsibly and taking CDC Guidelines and state guidelines very seriously.”Seth Stratton, MGM Springfield Vice President of Legal Counsel
MGM Springfield will reopen under the following health and safety protocols to protect staff and customers from COVID-19:
- Employee screening, temperature checks, and COVID-19 specific training
- Employees and guests will be required to wear masks in public areas. Masks will be provided free of charge
- A physical distancing policy will be implemented, with floor guides serving as reminders
- For areas where physical distancing presents challenges, plexiglass barriers will be installed, or other measures will be used to reduce risks
- Standalone handwashing stations designed by MGM Resorts conveniently located on the casino floor
- In addition to increased and enhanced routine cleaning of guestrooms (where applicable) and public spaces based on CDC guidance, electrostatic sprayers will be utilized in many large public spaces so that disinfectant is applied efficiently
- Digital menus will be available to view on personal mobile devices via QR codes in the resort’s food and beverage outlets
- To minimize groups congregating while they wait, restaurant guests will receive text message notification when their tables are ready
- MGM has compiled an internal team and processes to respond if a guest or employee tests positive for COVID-19. If a guest tests positive after visiting an MGM property, they are asked to alert the company through a special email address (email@example.com). The company will immediately report any positive test results to the local health department and assist with contact tracing to support the health department investigators.
MGM Springfield’s amenity offerings will be limited and do not include hotel rooms. The hotel, along with other venues will reopen in the coming weeks and months, Kelly said. Before is an idea of what guests can expect when they visit the casino:
A glimpse at what guests can expect:
- HOTEL & SPA – MGM Springfield’s hotel and spa will remain closed until a future date.
- GAMING – To promote physical distancing, slot machines will be disabled to accommodate six feet between players; poker, roulette, and craps will not be available in this first phase of reopening.
- DINING – Initially, dining options will be limited to Tap Sports Bar, South End Market and Costa’s pizza counter. Guests will utilize digital innovations such as QR codes for menus.
- BEVERAGE – Beverage service will be available on the casino floor and in connection with seated dining. To promote keeping the mask on, guests are not allowed to move around the casino floor with a drink; casino beverage service will be limited to those actively playing.
- PARKING/VALET – Complimentary self-parking will be available for guests; valet parking will not be operational at this time.