SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) – Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno along with city health officials provided an update on the city’s response to the coronavirus Monday morning.
Baystate Health President Mark Keroack said in the news conference that Baystate Health currently has 137 patients with COVID-19 and 11 of those patients are in the ICU.
A total of 7,800 Baystate Health employees have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and 1,900 have received their second dose. Keroack said they were able to vaccinate about 1,000 people Monday but they had to stop because they ran out of supplies. He added that they don’t know when they will be receiving another shipment.
Some of the side effects that people have been experiencing after receiving the vaccine according to Keroack are sore arm, mild flu like symptoms and less than 10 people have had serious allergic reactions.
Mercy Medical Chief Medical Officer Robert Roose said as of Monday morning they have 33 hospitalized patients with COVID-19 at Mercy Medical Center with two patients in the ICU. Over 2,000 vaccines have been administered at Mercy and over 250 have received their second dose with about 1,000 more scheduled for this week. Roose added that they have not run out off vaccines yet but are close to running out.
Mayor Sarno said the total of positive COVID-19 cases in Springfield is now 12,673 with 168 deaths.
Mayor Sarno joined with the following people at 10:15 a.m.:
- Health Commissioner Helen Caulton-Harris
- Superintendent of Schools Dan Warwick
- City Solicitor Ed Pikula
- Police Commissioner Cheryl Clapprood
- Fire Commissioner BJ Calvi
- Director of Human Resources William Mahoney
- CAFO TJ Plante
- Executive Director of PBRM Patrick Sullivan
- DPW Director Chris Cignoli
- CDO Tim Sheehan
- Baystate Health President and CEO Dr. Mark Keroack
- Mercy Medical Chief Medical Officer and Regional Chief, Addiction Medicine and Recovery Services Dr. Robert Roose
Springfield is among 20 western Massachusetts cities that are listed as high-risk for COVID-19.