Water bottles are one of the best ways to stay cool and hydrated while on the go.
On hot days, you may buy a water bottle and refill it multiple times but, many of these manufacturers make these plastic bottles for the purpose of a single use, so they don’t last forever.
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, refilling these bottles can attract different chemicals and cause bacteria to grow inside them.
Dr. R.F. Conway at Cooley Dickinson Hospital told 22News bacteria can start to form after just two refills.
“Problems occur when you pick up bacteria and it’s usually from the outside of the bacteria,” Dr. Conway said. “So if you’re going to use a usable or reusable bottle you have to make sure it’s absolutely clean.”
Dr. Conway recommends you should recycle any water bottle that has any scratches inside or outside the bottle.
The FDA also recommends recycling the bottle as the safest option.