Firefighters warning of dangers of space heaters after early morning fire in Holyoke

Health

Firefighters are warning residents of the dangers associated with space heaters after a fire left three people without a home in Holyoke Sunday morning.  

According to Holyoke Fire Captain Kevin Cavagnac, the fire at 210 Suffolk Street Sunday morning was caused by a space heater.  

Read More: Three people without a place to stay after fire on Suffolk St. in Holyoke 

One way to safely use a space heater is to make sure it is plugged directly into an outlet. Cavagnac said the heaters should never be plugged into extension cords.  

There should also be three feet of space between the heater and any flammable items. This includes walls, furniture, clothes, and other various household items.  

You should also never leave a space heater unattended, meaning the heater should be turned off before you leave your home or go to sleep.  

If you have questions about space heater safety, you should call your local fire department. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Only on WWLP.com | Digital First

More Digital First

State Police Overtime Scandal

More State Police Overtime Investigation

Trending Stories

Donate Today

Contests and Sweepstakes